Monday 12 May 2014

Currently Reading: North and South

How have I not mentioned this here? Oh, wait, it was in the MBRoM-post.

I listen to North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell as an audio book, read by the formidable Juliet Stevenson, whenever I'm in my car. And I love it! So much.

Aside from the incredibly great narration by Juliet Stevenson, listening to her voice ist just the most soothing thing ever, it is a wonderful book. (I keep sitting in my car in the garage after I've reached home just to listen on.)
I've read or audi-read this book several times and each time it seems to get better. Each time there is something else I find myself focussing on. This time it is definitely the way Elizabeth Gaskell sets the scene for each meeting (or rather clashing) of members of the Hale and Thornton families. She gives just the details of each persons inner life to make you see how they misunderstand or misinterpret each other and how these meetings can only go wrong etc.
It is a very complex book and has such rich characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment