Friday 2 May 2014

April Wrap Up and a kind of a May TBR (we'll call it MBRiM)

Okay, if I'm serious about book blogging then I should probably do an April Wrap Up. Especially because I feel like I finally got back into reading more during this April. I actually finished books (and yep, it's plural!) in April.

Actually when I think about it it may have been Oryx and Crake in March, when I was trying to finish that before going to a reading by Margaret Atwood, what got me back into the bookish spirit. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the trilogy (as I really, really liked this one and Atwood in general, who doesn't?!), but I'll wait till I can get this one trilogy edition that I want to have. (I bought Oryx and Crake as an audio book, so I have no book book copy of it.)

Well, but the Wrap Up. As in: books that I actually finished reading in April:

The Quantum Thief by Hannu Rajaniemi. I'll post my review on that one tomorrow or so. I'm kind of torn on this one. Great ideas, but horrible reading experience for me...

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. A re-re-re-re-read for me. And brilliant as always. Sticks with me, too.

The Love Artist by Jane Alison. Finally finished this one. I started it for a Coursera class. I loved the beginning, but over all I had some problems with it. I'll also post a review soon.

So, yeah, three books. Not much, but more than usual for me lately, so I'm happy.
Right now I'm reading Fahrenheit 451. And I also hope I'll finally get to watch the movie adaptation. (I started watching it some while back and loved the looks of it, but for some reason I don't have the DVD anymore...)

And now onto what May may bring.
I'm really hesitant to do an actual TBR. And I won't. Just because I know that I do not like to (and do not do) stick to plans where reading is concerned. (Also, for school I have a lot of stuff that certainly HAS to be read [yep, an "HTBR"], where it is not so much up to me to make decisions, so I like to roam freely the rest of the reading world.)So instead I'll make an "MBRiM" which naturally means: "Might be read in May".

I'll definitely be going on reading S., which I got last week and am in awe of. I read this very, very slowly and enjoy it immensely, the whole feeling and experience. So this may go on for months.

Other books that are just lying around here and might be picked up include:

Die neuen Frauen - Revolution im Kaiserreich (1900-1914)
- this is a German book about German women who became politically and culturally active in Germany at the beginning of the 20th century. It looks seriously interesting, but I don't know if I'll be much inclined to read non-fiction for pleasure with all the school work I have going on.

Aspects of the Novel by E.M.Forster - I love Forster. And this is my excuse to read something by him while at the same time maybe getting into the spirit of lit exams. (So it's semi-pleasure non-fiction, mark that as a new genre!)

I'm expecting some more books to arrive by mail during the coming days and maybe I'll just dive into one of them immediately. As I'm very much in a Science Fiction/Speculative Fiction kind of mood lately among these books are:
Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut
Embassytown by China Mieville
The Foundation Trilogy by Isaac Asimov (these last two totally due to me watching too much of books and pieces wonderful youtube channel..)

As an audio book I just started North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell. And I just love, love, love this book! So much in there. I am so looking forward to this re-read. (Also: This version is read by Juliet Stevenson. I love her, too.)

And about that whole stuff I have to read for university I might make another post... (Russian lit is always worth a blog post, I think...)

And now it's past 3 am and I am not willing to check for typos. Good Noght.

No comments:

Post a Comment