Monday 12 May 2014

Bout of Books - here I come!

So, I'll totally be doing BoB! And in my timezone it starts about right now (or maybe it already started a few minutes ago).

I'm with everybody who can't make the usual readathons (I totally just typed "readaTHONG"... what?!), I couldn't so far, because, you know, work and school and the rest of life.

I will be including the stuff I read for school, too. Because that week I will hopefully be studying a whole lot (I won't say I will have to study a lot, even though that would be true, but I have not been known for doing what I have have to do most of the time) and reading several books for my exams in June.

So, what are my intentions with this readathon?
Firstly, to read more than I usually would.
Secondly to get to all the study books that I need to read for this week.
Also, to finish at least two of the non-study books.
Then... also to blog regularly about the reading I do get done. And write reviews if it's worth it.
That's about it and it should be enough.

A list of potential books to read for the week:
For Pleasure:
North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell - which I will continue to listen to as an audio book.
Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut
I finally want to read some Octavia Butler, either Dawn or Parable of the Sower.
Embassytown by China Mieville
Then maybe Nineteen Eighty-Four.
And I'll be continuing S., too.
ETA: As apparently May is Short Story Month (even though I think that makes about as much sense as Mother's Day... every month should be short story month...) I'll add that I want to read three short stories. And as such: "The Ones Who Walk Away from Ormalas" by Ursula k. Le Guin (because I want to read something by Le Guin again and because I've never read this famous story), one by John Cheever and another one that I don't know yet.
EagainTA: Other possible short stories are naturally by E.A.Poe and I'm also thinking about "The Lottery".


For History:
Catherine the Great by Isabel de Madariaga. (As it's for school I'll be reading the German version.)
A History of Yugoslavia by Marie-Janine Calic, that's a German book.

For Russian Lit:
The Double by Dostoevsky
Also some of Gogol's magical tales and some of Petrushevskayas short stories.
(And maybe I'll start a re-read of "Three Sisters" and "The Cherry Orchard" by Chekhov, probably while watching some taped performance of it.)

For Spanish Lit:
Some stories by Borges (have to pinpoint which ones exactly yet)
One or maybe two novels that have not been determined yet (I hope to have that fixed tomorrow.)
(There'll be four novels all together plus two I have to do a re-read of.)

And somewhere between Russian Lit, History and Pleasure I'll be going on reading Natasha's Dance by Orlando Figes.

If I should finish North and South as my audiobook I'll probably try do something of my study books as audiobooks. If that should not work out I'll go on listening to something by Charles Dickens via librivox.org.

Here's the Bout of Books 10 blurb:
The Bout of Books read-a-thon is organized by Amanda @ On a Book Bender and Kelly @ Reading the Paranormal. It is a week long read-a-thon that begins 12:01am Monday, May 12th and runs through Sunday, May 18th in whatever time zone you are in. Bout of Books is low-pressure, and the only reading competition is between you and your usual number of books read in a week. There are challenges, giveaways, and a grand prize, but all of these are completely optional. For all Bout of Books 10 information and updates, be sure to visit the Bout of Books blog. - From the Bout of Books team

Bout of Books

And now... I'll be reading a bit!

No comments:

Post a Comment